Additional Help


We can only assist with the Change of Conditions application.

If you need additional advice on things like housing, debts, tuition fees, employment support, NHS debts and getting free baby clothes, here is a list of places that we recommend.


Free Prescriptions:

If you pay for your prescriptions and cannot afford this you can apply for free prescriptions by sending this HC1 form. You can do this even if you have NPRF.  

Therapy and Emotional Support:

If you or your children have ever experienced domestic violence, there are organisations that can help, like Solace Women’s Aid. They provide support, advice, and therapeutic services for women and children who have experienced domestic violence. (Please note that this service is not limited to those with NRPF.)

T: 0808 802 5565 (advice helpline) / 0207 619 1350 (general enquiries)



Free Legal Advice:

Mary Ward Legal Centre provide legal advice regarding debt, housing, benefits, and employment. This advice is provided free of charge to those who are destitute or struggling financially.

T: 02078317079



Approaching Social Services for Housing under section 17:

Project 17 is an organisation which provides advice and support to families who need access to social services accommodation.

T: 07963509044



Financial support and advice:

Alongside change of conditions applications and applications from benefits, there are other sources of financial help and advice:
Capitalise is a debt advice helpline, which is open: 9am-7pm on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and; 9am-5pm on Tuesday and Friday.  

T: 08081642480

Southall Black Sisters provide financial assistance for victims of domestic violence.

T: 02085719595


Mary Ward Legal Centre

Mary Ward Legal Centre provide legal advice regarding debt, housing benefits and employment.

T: 02078317079


NHS Debts:

Maternity Action provide specialist telephone advice if you have been charged for your NHS care whilst pregnant.

T: 0808 800 0041 (Freephone) Thursdays 10am-12noon.

Child Benefit

Even if you have No Recourse to Public Funds, you may still be eligible to claim Child Benefit if your child is British. please ask our immigration advisor for details.


If you are given recourse to public funds, you will need to apply for the benefits you want to claim. You can do this online (start here) or by going to your local Jobcentre. There is some information about this process here.

LRMN: benefits advice for women who’ve experienced gender-based and sexual violence and domestic violence:


Migrants Resource Centre provides advice and voluntary work placements to migrants. They also run IT workshops, ESOL classes, and support with job, and personal branding.

T: 02073549631




Into University is an organisation which provides free educational support for secondary school-aged children.

T: 02072430242


Crisis Skylight

Crisis skylight is an organisation which provides ESOL, IT and creative classes.

T: 03006361967



There are many social centres and organisations which offer community support to those who have made this application or who still have NRPF. This is a good way to meet other people in similar situations, who also might be able to help with questions about applying for benefits etc. Below, we list a few such centres.


Many change of conditions applicants go to Akwaaba, a social centre that is open on Sundays, 2-6pm in Dalston. It offers hot meals, English classes, creative activities, bike repair services and childcare.

You may also want to visit Xenia, a social centre which also runs English learning workshops for women. It's based in various locations in Hackney on Saturdays at 1am. You can reach them using their contact form here.


Birth Companions is another great alternative if you’re pregnant or a new mother; for such women, it provides both community support and educational classes.


Support for Parents:

If you have young kids, then there’s plenty of organisations which tailor support to you and your little ones. As well as Birth Companions (mentioned above), we list a few of them here.

If you are pregnant and require additional support, then you can check out Shoreditch Trust’s mentoring scheme: Bump Buddies.

T: 020 7033 8524


The Magpie Project provide a safe and fun place for mums and under fives suffering in temporary or insecure accommodation. There, you can take part in art activities, find community support, and enjoy lunch and tea with everyone.

T: 07561180825


And finally, Little Village provides baby items to parents, including nappies, cots, and prams. Note that this is a referral-only service – email the Unity Project about this if you’d like to be referred. You can reach us through our contact form here.


If you would like to chase up your immigration application (including your Change of Conditions application) you can do so by contacting your local MP. You can find out who they are by entering your postcode here. You can either contact them by email/post, or attend one of their 'surgeries' in person. The details about how to do this should be on their website.

You can ask your MP to ask the Home Office to make a quick decision, given your urgent need for recourse to public funds. You can also provide them with a copy of the application that we have submitted if this helps them to understand your situation. They will probably also need to know your Home Office reference number.