Are you compassionate and committed to migrants' rights? Are you interested in paralegal work, immigration law and access to justice?
We're looking for volunteers to assist destitute migrants in making immigration applications to change the conditions of their leave to remain. An opportunity to meet people from many backgrounds, work as a team and get valuable experience in immigration law and policy.
You will be given specialist training and thorough supervision in this role.
We ask for a weekly commitment (Tuesdays, 10-4) for six months, as this is a specialised role and experience is very important. We can provide a delicious lunch from our neighbours on Upper Street, as well as childcare.
- Assist visitors with various aspects of specific immigration applications
- Get an insight into the work of a frontline organisation and the impact of current laws and policies
- Supervise your work through an OISC Level 3 accredited immigration advisor
- Offer possible accreditation in OISC Level 1 immigration law (over 6 months)
- Provide full training and resources
- Compassionate and empathetic
- Analytical and organised
- Committed to helping people access justice and to migrants’ rights
- Some experience in benefits/ housing/ immigration advice and support (not essential)
- Interested in current laws and policies and their impact
- Willing and quick to learn
- Happy to work in a small team and as part of an evolving grassroots organisation