We would love to help everyone who needs to make this application but unfortunately we have a waiting list of at least four weeks for a first appointment and may not be able to help in some urgent cases. We do not have a drop-in centre and can see applicants by appointment only.

However, below you will find some information about other organisations that may also be able to help as well information about how to make the application yourself

Refer yourself/refer someone else:

You can refer yourself or be referred by an organisation. 

If you would like an organisation to refer you, please ask them to read the below information before filling out this form and sending it to

If you would like to refer yourself, please contact us directly at If you can also send us this form it will help make things quicker.

We will contact all future applicants over the phone as soon as possible after receiving the referral.

Whether you decide to wait for an appointment or decide to make the application yourself, you can use the below information to prepare.



If you have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF), you might be eligible to make a Change of Conditions application to the Home Office. If so, you can do this yourself, or we might be able to assist you. Either way, it is important that you understand the below information. Feel free to contact us with any questions.

Eligibility for the application

 You can only apply for a change of conditions if you already have one of the following types of leave to remain:

  1.  As a partner or parent under paragraph EX.1 of Appendix FM (10 year route to settlement). This can include leave:
    1. As a partner of a British or settled person
    2. As a parent of a British child, or a child who has been in the UK for more than 7 years
  2. Because of your private life, under paragraph 276ADE of the Immigration Rules. This can include: 
    1. Living in the UK for more than 20 years
    2. A child (under 18) living in the UK for more than 7 years
    3. Living in the UK for more than half your life if you are between 18 and 25 years old 
  3. Outside the immigration rules because of exceptional circumstances relating to family and private life.

If you are unsure about whether you are eligible you should let us know or seek advice before beginning to prepare for the application. 

In order for the Home Office to grant you recourse to public funds, we will need to show that at least one of the following is true for your situation:

  1. You have become destitute

  2. You were destitute when you made your immigration application, but didn’t tell the Home Office

  3. There are strong reasons why you need access to public funds relating to the welfare of a child because of your very low income

  4. There are exceptional circumstances relating to your financial situation

What is ‘destitution’?

 The Home Office says you are ‘destitute’ if either you do not have adequate accommodation and can't afford adequate accommodation, or you do not have enough money to meet your basic living needs.

You do not have to meet both parts of this definition to be ‘destitute’. You do not need to be street homeless to have ‘no adequate accommodation’, and what counts as adequate will be different in different cases. For example, a disabled person might need special adaptations to make their home adequate.

How to prepare for the application

The application normally involves collecting a large amount of evidence about your financial and living situations. If you think that you are eligible to make the application, you should try to start collecting documents from the list below as soon as possible.

This guide to Change to Conditions applications may also be useful.

Evidence that you may need

You may not require all of the evidence listed below and there’s a strong chance that you’ll require additional evidence not listed here that will depend on the nature of your case.

We are able to provide template letters when appropriate and please ask us to do so. It is better that people writing letters of support for you are given these templates before writing.

 Financial Information

  1.  6 months' official bank statements - these must be printed on the bank's headed paper or stamped by the bank
  2. 6 months' payslips
  3. 6 months' credit card statements for every account
  4. P45/P60 forms
  5. Letter confirming that you receive Child Benefit
  6. Letter confirming that you receive Child Maintenance
  7. Letters confirming support from friends and family (please ask us for a template)
  8. Letters confirming support under s.17 from local authority (LA) (please ask us for a template letter if you don’t already have a letter) 
  9. Letters from professionals confirming financial situation (e.g. charities, GP, health visitor, school, church) (please ask us for a template if you don’t already have a letter)
  10. Income/expenditure breakdown for the last month
  11. Bills (e.g. utilities, phone)
  12. Letters confirming debts owing (please ask us for a template letter if you don’t already have letters)
  13. Receipts for all cash purchases wherever possible for past and future purchases

Housing Information

  1.  Tenancy agreement/ letter from landlord or person providing the housing.
  2. Letters from professionals confirming housing situation (e.g. charities, GP, health visitor, school, church – ask us for a template)
  3. Rent account showing arrears
  4. Notice to quit or letter asking you to vacate your property
  5. Possession order/warrant for eviction
  6. Evidence of conditions in house (e.g. Environmental Health Inspection report, photos, etc)


  1.  Copies of job applications/rejection letters
  2. Contract of employment

 Other information

  1. Home Office letter with grant of leave/ Home Office decision letter
  2. Biometric Residents Permits for yourself and any children
  3. Passports for yourself and any children
  4. Medical evidence of any health conditions (NB doctors often charge for this - so wait to discuss with us if there's an issue)
  5. Evidence relating to welfare of your child (e.g. school report, letter from school nurse, etc)
  6. Statement from the children about how the situation is affecting them (remember this needs to include their address, name and date; ask us for guidance if unsure


Other organisations helping with this application:

There are some other organisations that may be able to help - please contact them directly:

Advising Communities:

CARIS Haringey (if you live in Haringey or have been housed by Haringey Council):

Refugee Women's Action (if you live in Hackney, Islington, Westminster or Lewisham):


Other sources of advice:

We only assist with Change of Conditions applications for people with NRPF, but you may need advice on other issues. We work with the following organisations to provide this advice, and you can also contact them directly:

  1.  Project 17 - - for people with NRPF facing homelessness and needing emergency ('section 17') support from local authorities.
  2. Maternity Action - - for anyone with NRPF who needs advice about a debt they owe to the NHS.
  3. Other advice centres for immigration-related advice – please email us if you'd like us to signpost you to another form of advice.